The Community Connector > FAQ > I need help paying for a hearing aid. Where can I get assistance?

Questions received at may be posted below.

Q: I need help paying for a hearing aid. Where can I get assistance?

Listed below are a number of resources to contact for further information: Alpha One and mPower: Alpha One and mPower provides low-interest loans for individuals with disabilities and for businesses to make their workplace more accessible to employees and customers. Through mPower, Mainers can borrow from $250, up to $100,000. These funds can purchase the equipment, renovations or technologies people with disabilities need to address the challenges of everyday life, they also provide hearing aids, telecommunication devices for the deaf (TTY), visual fire alarms, and augmentative communication devices for individuals with hearing problems. Individuals don't have to have a disability to qualify. mPower loans are made at low interest rates with longer repayment schedules. This reduces monthly payments. It makes necessary adaptive equipment a real possibility for low-income individuals. Alpha One provides an Adaptive Equipment Loan Program; Independent Living Skills Instruction; Adaptive and Mobility Equipment and Selection (trial rentals); Adapted Transportation; Access Design Consultation; Information and Referral; and Personal Care Attendant Services. Phone: 1-800-640-7200, Alpha One, 127 Main Street, South Portland, ME 04106 Websites: or Club of Maine: Assists individuals wishing to obtain hearing aids who have limited financial resources. Speech and Hearing Services Phone: (207) 247-3314, HCR 72 Box 8018, North Waterboro, Maine 04061, Contact: John Kustron.The Warren Center: The Regional Hearing Aid Bank, ReHAB for short, is designed to provide hearing aids to members of the community who are unable to afford them. It uses donated behind-the-ear hearing aids, which can be refurbished and reprogrammed for use by another person. The ReHAB program is designed particularly for members of the community who are unable to be served by the Veterans' Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation program, insurances or other third-party providers and whose annual income is less than 200% of the federal poverty level. There is an application process and a waiting list for these services. This program is free, but donations are greatly appreciated. Applications: (207) 941-2850 or 1-877-542-9000, 75 Union Street, Bangor, Website: Center on Deafness: The Maine Center on Deafness (MCD) is a nonprofit organization that serves people in Maine who are deaf, late-deafened or hard-of-hearing by providing resources, advocating for social equality, and helping the general public to better understand and appreciate Deaf culture and effective ways of communication. The MCD is comprised of members of the Deaf community - friends and supporters that people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can depend on. Phone: (207) 797-7656 or 1-800-639-3884, Address: 68 Bishop Street, Suite 3, Portland, ME 04103, Website: SeniorsPlus can connect you to a broad range of information, resources, and services available to seniors. Phone: (207) 645-3315 or 1-888-234-3921, 251 US Rt. 2, Wilton, Maine 04294, Website: Of Veteran Affairs (VA): Hearing aid evaluations are given to determine hearing loss and the need for hearing aids or other forms of amplification. If the patient needs a hearing aid, hearing aids are ordered from one of the hearing aid manufactures on a VA government contract. Patients are required to return to the Audiology Clinic for the hearing aid fitting. Hearing aid orientation and education are stressed, family cooperation, participation and assistance is encouraged and welcomed. Additional follow-up appointments are often scheduled to monitor patient progress with new hearing aids. To qualify for service a formal application must be made through the VA Regional Office. Verification of the claim will be made by the VA Puget Sound Health Care System. Assistance in filing and follow-up of claims can be obtained through any of the Veteran's Service Organizations such as VFW, AMVETS, American Legion, etc. This service is for Veterans and their family members. VA Regional Office, 915 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98174, Phone: 1-800-827-1000, Website: Now: HEAR NOW is a national nonprofit organization. HEAR NOW is an agency of last resort, which provides hearing aids to deaf or hard-of-hearing people with limited financial resources, and meet income guidelines. Those seeking assistance are asked to exhaust all other sources of assistance before contacting HEAR NOW, e.g., Bureau of Rehabilitation Services, Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Administration, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance. There is also an application and processing fee of $100 (for one hearing aid), and $200 (for two hearing aids) (This fee is not the purchase price of aids, because HEAR NOW does not sell hearing aids). This fee is non-refundable and will not be returned under any circumstance. Phone: 1-800-648-4327 (V), 6700 Washington Avenue, Eden Prairie, MN 55344, Website:

Healthy Community Coalition

Founded in 1989, Healthy Community Coalition (HCC) is an affiliate of the Franklin Community Health Network with a mission of promoting health and well-being in Franklin County and neighboring towns, including Livermore Falls.